There seem to be no lack of reasons not to do Desktop Virtualization and plenty of people on twitter can be found daily shooting holes in the solutions that make up this category so I thought I’d be different and talk about the reasons I’ve seen that organizations take on Desktop Virtualization, whether that be hosted virtual desktop (HVD) or hosted shared virtual desktop (RDSH).
- Driving to work is expensive and time consuming
- Using a Mac as your primary desktop is fucking awesome
- 4G isn’t available everywhere, your apps won’t work with limited bandwidth
- 4G is everywhere, why have apps installed locally
- Tablets are a shitty laptop replacement, but your CEO wants Windows apps on this iPad so just do it already
- Virtualization isn’t security, but keeping data in the datacenter doesn’t hurt your security strategy
- Access to business apps means your workers can work more and from when/where they want
- Highly managed Windows endpoints outside of your building are highly difficult
End the week on a positive note, post in the comments on your reasons to do Desktop Virtualization.